Friday, September 25, 2009

Cooking Club


Several years ago, I read an article in Better Homes and Gardens about initiating a cooking club. I really enjoyed the idea. I do get excited about sharing a common purpose with a group of women. I especially like it if participating in something make my life a little easier with the added benefit of spending time with people. Plus, you walk away with great recipes from friends!
There are a lot of businesses that are cropping up like this in town. Super Suppers comes to mind. I've heard of a group of women getting together, having some wine and assembling a slew of meals. I think it's fabulous, plus all the shopping and cutting is done for you. I have never done it because we seem to have more time than money at this point. I can afford to spend 45 minutes putting together a healthy meal, but not every night. I have to admit, between all the fantastic reports of healthful meals, you'll find Mickey Mouse-shaped chicken nuggets, peanut butter and jelly, and pizza take-out. Having some reliable freezer food and a well stocked pantry would save both our gut and our wallet.
Despite my enthusiasm for this project idea, I never did get this enterprise up and running. After mentioning it in several circles, I didn't find a group of women who either had the time or the passion for cooking that a group like this requires. I did pull away from the article several good recipes that have become staples in our house. I mention particularly the meatball recipe. I love that I can create a decent meatball- actually a lot of decent meatballs- throw them in the freezer and pull them out for dinner, all ready to add to a dish. In fact, I have a large container of ground turkey already thawing in the fridge for this very purpose!
An absolute favorite recipe is the meatball sandwich. It is a totally different meatball sandwich than the typical marinara and cheese saturated hoagie roll. This recipe is more refined and has amazing flavor. I highly recommend it. Even the guys will love it!
I hope to get a cooking club up and running someday, especially since life seems so busy and isolated for me lately. A congregation of friends cooking together is something our generation never experiences. With fragmented family schedules and after school activities, it's hard enough to even get a family together at the table. I think this is one way to give mom a little social recharge time and benefit a hectic dinner schedule.
Comment if you're in the area and interested in batching together passion for cooking, family togetherness, and friendship. Maybe we can make this idea work after all!

No comments:

Post a Comment