Thursday, September 16, 2010

Gluten Free Challenge

I am finding that sticking to a Gluten Free diet is extremely challenging given my circumstances.

Road Block Number One:
Pregnancy. An immediate challenge. I wake up in the morning with a blood sugar level and nausea dragging me down so hard all I can manage is popping something into the toaster. It's usually a piece of Sweet Hawaiian Bread spread with melted peanut butter, a plain bagel and cream cheese, or at my worst- a Pop Tart. Terrible, I know. Carbs and pregnancy go together. They are instant fuel for a drained system. They pad all that extra stomach acid and calm the stomach down. Add that to debilitating fatigue sprinkled throughout the day and it's a sure-fire way to mail it in and call the pizza guy for dinner.


Road Block Number Two:
Children. Their presence of course is a blessing, but turning the tables on them too quickly will cause a riot. The pantry is full of lots of goodies for them to munch on including a rainbow of cereals, breads, after school snacks, and aforementioned Pop-Tarts. My three children are great at eating, but like me, you take away all the starchy breakfast foods and they will think I've punished them. Should I be converting them as well in order to assure my own success? Can they survive without a sandwich in their lunch and waffles for breakfast? Or can I just resist the temptation of all those convenience foods?

The challenge is solved with more preparation. Have some pre-flighted choices available to grab when the blood sugar runs low and the kids are nearly dying of starvation at 2:30. That means baking some GF cookies, brownies, and pre-cutting some vegetables. Now, if I can just get off the couch...vicious circle.

No comments:

Post a Comment