Thursday, August 5, 2010

Honey-Balsamic Bean Salad

This is the recipe I tried last night in a pinch when I didn't know what to make. I found it on an awesome blog 101 Cookbooks, who I later found out is written by the same author who wrote Super Natural Cooking- a cookbook I've admired and it's purchase is long overdue. It has now definitely made it to my short list, because everything I've tried from her site has been fantastic and easy to adapt to the available ingredients in my pantry.
What I ended up with is a fairly far departure from the original, but fantastic nonetheless. I adapted the original recipe to include more vegetable so the kids would not look at a plate of canned beans and wonder what else we were eating. The dressing: I followed to the "T" and it was stellar. Even little T noticed that the dressing tasted like honey. It had such great flavor and it was gluten-free (something not available on the grocery store shelves near us)!

Ingredients
1 (14 oz can) EACH cooked beans: chickpeas (garbanzo beans), pinto beans, black beans
1 small head romaine lettuce, chopped
1/3 cup sliced almonds, toasted
1 large carrot, peeled and finely chopped
1/2 cucumber, finely chopped
1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
5 sprigs fresh thyme

Dressing:
2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoons runny honey
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/4+ teaspoon fine grain sea salt

Combine the beans with all the vegetables, and the almonds. To make the dressing, combine all ingredients and whisk together. Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment