Friday, August 13, 2010

A reincarnated rotisserie chicken

Among my other staples at Costco is the rotisserie chickens. Some stores make them fresh and serve them by 4:00, but here, I am lucky enough to score one just about anytime of day. They are large, juicy, and reasonably priced. I could buy one raw and unseasoned at the regular grocery store for the same price. So, I save myself a little time and fake it!
I have been buying two each time I'm at the big box store, and usually serve one for dinner as-is with a couple sides and refrigerate the other. I can usually count on my husband to de-bone the other so I can incorporate the mess into a new meal. What's amazing is that second chicken goes twice or three times as far as the original served whole!
I'll share a few of the recipes with you over a few posts.

Super-Easy Chicken Salad

Ingredients:

1/2 rotisserie chicken, de-boned and cubed
1/2 cup Craisins
1 cup red seedless grapes, halved
1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
1/2 cup orange juice
1 1/2 cups mayonnaise or Miracle Whip
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar

Combine all ingredients, add more salt/sugar to taste. If it's too sticky, add more orange juice to thin mayonnaise. No need to refrigerate to let the flavors gel. Serve on sandwich bread or rolled into lettuce wraps. This should keep in the refrigerator for a few days and you'll get more than one meal out of it for your family.

No comments:

Post a Comment