Thursday, August 12, 2010

Nearing the end of the second week

As I approach the end of the second week of school, I look back on how my life is so different as a stay-at-home mom with all the kids in elementary school. This is a fabled moment in the life of a mother. So many guess and wonder what life will be like once the kids go to school. It's that first step towards an empty nest. For me, it's a little different, because in four months I will be right back at the parenting starting line with a newborn. But, for now I see life through the lens of a mother with no kids in the house from 8-2:30.
I can recall wondering what my life would look like many times with friends who also had a house full of preschoolers. We all fantasized about all the things we were going to finally accomplish for ourselves. Go back to work, exercise and shop more, have a perfectly clean house, maintain a hobby, see the task list totally accomplished at the end of each day. It seemed like an eon stretch of time while the kids were at school and mom had all that time to well... be "her".
Now that I have officially entered that phase of my life, I can't tell you what a surprise it has been. My reality has been rocked to the core. Not only have I found that my "me list" isn't being accomplished, it's been entirely thrown out the window. It seems now, more than ever, the kids require more of my attention, care, nurturing, and supervision. Maybe this will pass, but it is certainly a glimpse into the adolescence and teen years.
Within the first 24 hours of the start of school, each of my children had a major breakdown. I mean uncontrollable crying and insecurity- something I hadn't seen in over a year. I'm sure it was the stress of the transition into a new school, but they all struggled with their own version of fear. With all three kids in need of some major consoling, I thought to myself, "This parenting gig is far from over with these three". I had to switch from the mode of diaper changing, potty training, feeding, hygiene and sleep routines in this totally different kind of nurturing. This is the phase of parenting that is no longer about keeping your little one alive and safe, but actually molding their character and building their self-confidence.
Whoa... this is heavy.
I had to crack open a book I read last year and refresh myself on the major purpose of being a Christian mother. It's called Mission of Motherhood, and it gives such a great wide-angled view of raising children in the likeness of Christ. I strongly recommend it to any mother, at any stage in the game. Here's an excerpt:
As we tenderly care for our children, meeting their needs, teaching them and guiding them, praying for them and modeling our faith, we are also anchoring their hearts to our home, our values, and our beliefs.
A humbling look into the future of raising kids has shown me that those hours while they are away are just as important as when they are home. I've got to keep my mind and spirit in Christ all day, so when they get home, it's not just about homework, chores, and after school snacks; it's about creating a household "where the greatness of God and devotion to Him is lived out".
This job now seems more important than ever, and certainly not about me.

No comments:

Post a Comment