Wednesday, July 29, 2009

It was time for a Purge

This weekend did not turn out to be so adventurous. With all our busyness, the little things were piling up. And I mean EVERYWHERE. The walk to the car in the garage, the game room, the kids bedrooms. Each room was getting harder and harder to clean. When it hits that point, it means we have too many toys.
I locked myself in each of the kids rooms, and went through every toy. Surprises were everywhere. Little T figured he could clean his room a lot faster by shoving his clothes under his bed, dresser, and behind bookcases. I was wondering why he was always saying he had no clean clothes! Well, he did get a punishment, and a stern warning to never do it again.
But with each room, being cleaned top to bottom, it gave a sense of peace. Since I am so concerned with aesthetics, it's easy for me to look to my surroundings for peace. Hence, my strong interest in art.
Well, cleaning turned to moving furniture- my other hobby when I feel stressed. The couch came downstairs and the desk went upstairs. Our bedroom took a 180 and is oriented on a completely different wall, accommodating the office actually leaving more space than we realized. It was my kind of fun. Russell's minor back injury aside, it was a fun, exhausting weekend.
We now come away from the weekend, an organized- no scary closets anywhere to be seen- functioning family. It's a great push before the school year begins and the paper monster returns.
I hope some of you will take a look at those daunting tasks, and go after them. It has left me felling much more confident about my home-making skills. And cleared my mind to focus on the more important tasks for my week.

1 comment:

  1. I cleaned out the closets a couple of weeks ago and got to the drawers and miscellaneous bins yesterday. It does make facing the day more peaceful when the clutter is gone. Hopefully someone makes good use of the 7 bags of clothes I took to Goodwill. :)

    ReplyDelete