Monday, July 20, 2009

Sugary Drinks- BAD...



Water- GOOD.

I keep telling myself that. I have decided that the first place I will start will be to eliminate sugary drinks from my daily habits. You see, I reach for a soda 9 times out of 10. The other 10% is a delicious drink called Simply Lemonade, Vitamin Water, or Propel. Ahhh... sugar in the liquid form. It must be the nectar of the gods. But, since I am neither bird nor god, I cannot justify making everything I drink to have a base of corn syrup, aspartame or otherwise. I have actually hated water ever since I was a kid. It has always tasted bad to me. In order for me to enjoy it now, it has to be extremely cold and bottled, with a lime, or some synthetic powdery stuff poured into it. I'm hoping to overcome that. Funny story: I've always thought about going on Survivor or something, but the lack of fresh bottled water, is enough to deter me for good.
Over the weekend, I repeatedly denied myself soda when eating out, and sweetened water when exercising. I managed to only enjoy my morning cup of coffee with a couple of teaspoons of Organic Evaporated Cane Juice and 1/2 & 1/2 which I am hoping to cut out all together within a couple weeks (baby steps here- I'm not trying to go psycho on the elimination diet). I did end up with a crazy headache yesterday- it's called withdrawl- the sign of a clear addict.
Today, I totally caved. After a very scrambled morning (I'm not talking about eggs) I breezed through the Starbucks for one of those naughty White Mochas I dearly love. What happened was this morning, I didn't set an alarm- why, I don't know because the kids had to be at VBS at 9am. I guess I thought I could wake up naturally and still have plenty of time to be there. Well, as little T was prodding me out of bed, I was so disoriented, I didn't know what day it was. I had to have been Sunday again, surely. After pushing the kids to get ready in lightning speed, I bribed them with a doughnut (oops, slipped again) to save time on breakfast. Well, as I was driving to VBS, I flaked out and totally passed the doughnut shop. Starbucks was next along the street, so let the temptation begin. Did you know they have very expensive, gourmet doughnuts at Starbucks? So, $12 later, we leave the drive through and glide into church.
Our crazy morning, turned into a field day for my naughty temptation to rear it's ugly head. Lesson learned: lack of preparation is a sure-fire way to spoil hard work and planning to achieve a goal.
How I made up for it: the kids got an ice cream cone for being so sweet and patient while I did some shopping, and I ordered a bottled water! Yeah!
The bad news: it does appear I am setting the kids up for some very bad habits- I'll have to work on that.
The good news: I didn't give in and call the day a loss an indulge every other craving (which is pretty typical for me). I still managed to come out victorious. I am hoping to remind myself of all the little victories, instead of dwell on disappointments.
Remember- sugary drinks- BAD. Water- GOOD.

2 comments:

  1. Liz, maybe you don't remember but when you were about 10 we went to MOnterey/Carmel and Big Sur, and when we were walking on the beach with you and your brothers a naked male jogger met us. It is funny now, but then it involved a mad scramble to try to get you all to look at something other than "him". Your story makes me laugh.
    Thanks
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome story, Dad, thanks. I obviously blocked that one out!!

    ReplyDelete