Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Sights set...

Our little family has always been good at living within the margins of life. We rarely do anything to an excess, but have never managed to lead ourselves into new territory of mastery. Call it a lack of discipline. It's not one of our best features. Unfortunately, it's the lack of discipline that my husband and I share that has trickled down on to the kids.
They are truly fantastic, and we are totally impressed with who God has given us as children. But my husband and I tend to be very relaxed people- we don't go to great lengths to accomplish much. We have HUGE goals, and even bigger dreams, but no real desire to put our feet to the pavement and race after these big ideas.
Ideas- it is what I am famous for. I LOVE ideas. Give me a problem or an ambition and I will dress it up and turn it around in no time. That is why I pursued design work by doing custom art. I would have a client give me a general idea of what they were looking for, and I would craft it into being. I'm a creator: it's what I do. However, I am not a maintainer. I truly suck at it!
So, in an effort to begin our life's new quest, I am blogging. First, to keep me accountable, and second, to document all the cool stuff that is definitely worth sharing with others that I may try out or stumble upon.
Here's the mission: My family's physical and spiritual health has been lacking lately. Mostly because of a crazy schedule due to my husband's graduate program he is in. Even the dog got a bad report at the Dr yesterday. We are fairly certain that he had a seizure, the lab tests report he has high cholesterol and has gained 15 pounds in the 3 years we've owned him (no, we didn't get him as a puppy!).
What's the plan? Not sure yet. I am working that out. I want it to be very intentional, but we did start the day with the kids riding their bikes, and me walking/running the dog.
I intend on sharing many of my awesome healthy recipes, trial & error exercise, biblical insight, and cool things we've done to get out of the house; so keep checking back in. Tonight, I am bringing dinner to a friend who had a baby @ 7.5 months, so we will make a double portion. It's black beans with brown rice. Awesome dish for company- very filling and lots of fiber! I'll post that recipe a bit later.

No comments:

Post a Comment